Saturday, October 24, 2009

Shooting From The Dark Side

"You shoot from the dark side",this was the quote that got me thinking.Tonight I sit here and watch a retrospective of the work of Canadian photojournalist Ted Grant.The quote refers to his style of shooting from the shadow side of subject.Ted's style has led him to take some of the most iconic Canadian photographs over the last half of the 20th century.

Shooting mostly in black and white Ted Grants works cover every thing from the political life of prime minsters to the historic photo of Ben Johnson winning the gold medal in the Sole Olympics.

Ted Grant and I share one item.My father at the end of his life suffered from an affliction called tri-geminal neuralgia.This is a painful condition of the nerves in the face.Ted Grant also suffered from this condition and over came it.
The biggest things that I take from Teds works is the back lighting that is his trade mark.Shoot from the shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment